The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: TNA Closes Forums, Rick Scaia Continues to Drift Further Out Of Touch
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4928
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 6-30-2006 at 10:00 PM Edit Post
TNA Closes Forums, Rick Scaia Continues to Drift Further Out Of Touch

Before I get started, I just wanted to point out that in typical OO fashion, Rick has devoted a vast, overwhelming majority of his column to being apologetically optimistic about WWE/ECW while being flippantly dismissive, and in some cases irresponsibly eliminative, regarding his coverage of TNA. I mean, really... if all your audience comes for is the WWE commentary, why bother with the TNA stuff, especially if you aren't even going to try to give it an equal effort? Ugh. Anyway, this little tidbit is from Rick's latest self-indulgent egOO trip...

quote:

TNA has shut down it's sanctioned fan forums, and replaced it with a MySpace page. The reason? I've been told it's because even TNA started to hate the "jack-off" mentality and negativity on their own forums and wanted to put their fans back in their place: as passive viewers, not as dimwitted-think-they're-contributors-but-are-really-just-tards. Sadly, what TNA failed to realize is that unless you are (1) under 21 and (2) so very very awkward, then you have no business having a MySpace page. If I were you people: I'd get ready for me to turn this into an on-going anti-TNA riff, as I honestly have no patience for anybody who sees any use for MySpace (and am ready to assholishly profess it to the world, now that I've seen that one "Trendspotting" skit on the Daily Show which makes me quite positive I am in the right on this issue and not just being a curmudgeon).

Now, I'm not sure how much of this Rick actually believes and how much of it is just "showmanship" or whatever, but to me it comes off as a guy who has completely lost touch with what's going on within the medium to which he himself owes his own level of celebrity. Talk about shitting in your own nest.

First of all, Rick implies that the forums were replaced by a MySpace page. It would be more accurate to state that the link to the forums was replaced by a link to TNA's already existing MySpace page. It may be semantics, but the implication is that they decided to do away with their community message board in FAVOR of a new MySpace page. This isn't what happened.

The "reason" Rick gives for the random shutting down of the forums earlier this week sounds more like speculation on behalf of the person who told him than anything else. Granted, I don't know who this person is. It could be Rick's mailman or it could have been Jeff Jarrett himself. Then again I've "been told" that the forums are going to be relaunched soon. But by who? It's a mystery! Was it Bill Banks? Was it Jeff Jarrett? Was it a former moderator of the TNA forums? Was it my imagination??? Who knows!?! But I assure you I have "been told." Now, based on the venom Rick unleashes later in the above blurb, not to mention the frequency of the visits to his OWN forums, I'll take it that Rick never bothered to actually go to TNA's forums to even so much as take a look around. I'll admit... the place sucked. Morons all over. However, there were a handful of very good posters and also a group of very dedicated moderators on those boards. The "jack-off" mentality on those boards is the same as you'd find on most any boards, wrestling-related or not. The negativity on TNA's boards had been going on for YEARS. To insinuate that TNA all of a sudden decided to put an end to this by stomping out and pissing off part of its core "jack-off" fan base is nothing more than an under-pondered assumption. And I find it VERY amusing to read the phrase "put their fans back in their place: as passive viewers" from a staunch WWE supporter like Rick. Please. I thought he wanted TNA to be more like WWE, now he's criticizing them for it? It would seem more logical, if Rick paid any attention to what actually went on on the TNA Forums or with TNA in general, that the reason the forums were shut down was because of their abundance of downloads of official TNA television broadcasts. TNA has long been a supporter of the digital dissemination of their on-air product and openly allowed such practices on their own forums. However, an important thing Rick failed to mention in his column (or purposefully left out to facilitate his agenda) was that Spike TV as recently as a few days ago began providing content to iTunes for download. iMPACT is one of the shows Spike has made available. Now, what are the chances that there might be some legal issue as far as Spike and Apple are concerned if TNA continues to allow their official forums to provide people with the same programming for free? Pretty good I'd say. Would a legal obligation be a more logical and concrete reason to shut down the forums than, say, "our internet fans are douchebags"? I'll let you be the judge.

Now, for those that may not know, and I'm sure that everyone who reads Rick's column does, MySpace is populated by many MANY people over the age of 21 who also happen to be less-than awkward. I'd assume that Rick really does know this. And regardless of his opinions of them, most of them are normal, well adjusted people that actually have girlfriends and wives and children and rock bands and real-life friends who drink beer and go to parties and talk to women and have actual REAL lives that aren't spent, believe it or not, all day on the internet. Rick can berate it all he likes, but many people, some who are possibly even cooler than him have MySpace accounts. Hell, OO's own Canadian Bulldog, Jeb Lund and Erin Anderson have MySpace accounts (links withheld because I'm not a douche). Popular celebrities such as Dane Cook and Rick's (and admittedly mine) beloved Jenna Fischer proudly have MySpace pages to help reach out to their fanbase. Tons of Pro Wrestlers have pages. Many corporate entities now use MySpace as a portal to their products/websites because it is INSANELY FUCKING POPULAR with groups of people that they want to target. Why on EARTH would TNA want to get involved in something as fucking retarded and juvenile as developing a corporate identity with specifically targeted demographics by using an easy and accessible internet resource? It's MAAAADNESS! Seriously, is there something Rick is hiding about his disdain for MySpace? Is it something personal? (Did MySpace hurt you, Rick?) Is Rick just taking his frustrations out on poor little TNA because MYSPACE PUNKED RICK'S DOG???

Rick can go ahead with his on-going anti-TNA riff, that is, if he wants to look more like that "curmudgeon" that he claims he isn't. I also find great joy in the irony that he holds the opinion of The Daily Show in such high regard when I think everyone can pretty much agree that someone who runs little more than a glorified wrestling blog while trashing the very medium that supports him is EXACTLY the type of person the Daily Show would revel in making fun of. Rick's not curmudgeony at all. Nope, he's got his finger firmly planted on the pulse of the universe.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   angstboy 's Aim
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 10998
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 6-30-2006 at 10:33 PM Edit Post
I <3 you Brad

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 7-1-2006 at 08:58 AM Edit Post
quote:
I've actually been expecting some sort of eruption about this issue from probably a dozen potential posters, but I admit it was sort of a surprise that it came from Brad.

Really? Because I'm shocked that its taken this long for Brad to blow up about this shit. He's been doing it bit by bit for a year now. But its always in a TNA thread where only TNA fans are reading anyway. Or as some random outburst in a thread that gets dismissed as a joke. I feel like he's the only one more annoyed than me (at least in terms of public showings) and I've only just begun to rant at random times (like in the Divas forum with the Hemme/MySpace thing).

I'm not sure I can add anything but I sure as hell echo everything that has been said here. I think I've been the longest TNA fan around here. I was one of the first guys to write something pro-TNA on the main page. I remember a time when I was hopelessly trying to draw interest in TNA on the boards (like hyping $1 PPVs) and I hoped that Rick would actually bother to mention a big happening in TNA way down at the end of his columns. I remember getting annoyed when TNA hit some milestone and the only OO piece on it was Bulldog and Matt taking shots at it in a comedy piece. But I'm at a point where I miss the old days when OO ignored the company. Because 90% of the stuff he says now is negative and the 10% that is is almost always backhanded compliments laced with insults. On the rare occassion that he just says "that was good" with no caveats or snarky additions I sit in shock. I'm with angst. I rather see OO give TNA no attention than give it so little respect or regard.

Jason's been a great addition. He's someone talking about TNA who actually likes it. Or not even likes TNA. He's willing the give the place a chance. But even he feels like an outsider on OO. He doesn't even take part in the WWE PPV predictions. Meanwhile columnists from years ago and guys I barely recognize do. But one of the handful of guys who contributes each week is left out. I have no idea if that's Jason's deal or if Rick is excluding him because he's the TNA guy but it sure does hammer home a 2nd class citizenship in my mind. I'm amazed that in the time that Jason's been doing the TNA PPV predictions that NONE of the OO writers have joined in. Again, I don't know if that's Jason or them but what the hell? I figured that the PPV predictions started as a collection of board regulars because we were the only ones watching. But how has noone other than board regulars managed to reach out and join the group as time has progressed? I have to have been contributing to J's stuff for a year now and yet noone's jumped in (besides a couple of other forumers). How is that possible? At the very least we know Rick watches TNA. Yet the message we're being sent is he doesn't give enough of a damn to do a paragraph prediction on each match once a month if its not for WWE.

Again, I'm reading this from the outside. For all I know Jason and Rick could have agreed that its best that J remain head of the TNA department and that Rick not jump in. Maybe the lack of OO columnists is an effort to not delegitimize the "OO Forums' TNA Posse" as just a bunch of replacement writers filling in when noone else wants to (and I can't ignore that folks like Jeb and Erin have seemingly lost interest in WWE let alone gain interest in TNA). For all I know Rick has been actively recruiting folks to write about TNA and hasn't had any success. I know if I was asked to write a weekly TNA piece I might not have it in me. And as is the case with this site its hard to tell where Rick ends and "The Rick" begins. He admits that he fakes not knowing guys just to hammer home points. We know he makes wild comments and claims to do the same. Its part of his schtick and I'm game for it. I have been for a long time. TNA is hardly the first thing I liked that Rick didn't or declared I "couldn't be his friend" for liking. Luckily I'm not so insecure that I'm affected by that stuff. Its just that TNA gets nothing but disdain that makes it so hard. Sure, Lost (which I like) gets the same disdain (or worse) but then again we're not at a TV Show review site. You can take those aside comments once every few months easier than you can take weekly jabs at TNA with no real reciprocation. It all just builds together into TNA doesn't deserve respect.

And the excuse is always about the "jerkoff fans" and the guys making wild claims and complaining to him. And I'm sure they exist. But the rational guys do too. They exist on his site and board. Jason writes weekly. Brad, Cory, and I have all written for the site in the past (I think madiq has as well). And I'd like to believe that I'm generally fairminded (although, as I have admitted, I have been biased in the past). But the impression given always seems to be that if you disagree with his constant railings on TNA you're just one of these whiny assholes who can't see reality.

In going with Brad's "out of touch" thing I was struck by Rick's stand on Nash in TNA. Its weird but he seems to be acting like he's the only guy who's enjoying Nash and that there's some wild outcry to rid TNA of him. Yet the majority of reviews I've seen have been positive. Sure there's cynicism and apprehension that it will turn out bad for TNA and the X Division in the end but everyone seems to be enjoying Nash in TNA. At least Jason seems to. And all the TNA PPV prediction team does. And all the board denizons do. Hell, I think Nash has been brilliant. And the one or 2 other boards I look at do. So why is Rick acting like he's railing against the tide of TNA fans when he says Nash and a midget are amusing? It just seems to further isolate TNA and its fans as some silly outside group that don't even know a good thing when they stumble upon it.

Its fucking pointless to argue about the peripheral stuff. Youtube, MySpace, iTunes, whatever. MySpace has no purpose in Rick's mind but it clearly has one in reality. And I'm not a fan of the site (although I'm there if only to login once a month and keep contact with a handful of people) but I can't deny its reach or popularity. Rick ranted about WWE not embracing Youtube yet when TNA did with video clips and Global Impact I barely remembering it getting a mention. He shit on TNA when it was hosting Impact as an internet show because he never wants to watch TV on his computer but then showed interest when Velocity and Heat went the same route. Its silly. And I like Rick too much to think he doesn't see the hypocrisy he shows sometimes. The occasional expression of ignorance is what it is. Sometimes Rick says something about TNA that I KNOW is wrong (like Brad has mentioned about the forums shutting down) or dishonest but what can you do? Meanwhile I'm reading for 2 weeks now how ECW's Kelly has an unspoken quality that renders her absurdly painful segments, gimmick, and performance as enjoyable and innocent. I'd love to see what the same thing on TNA would garner.

And I'm sure at least SOME of my complaints are from me feeling like I'm the persecuted here. Once I feel like 90% of the TNA stuff is negative its quite possible that I end up seeing 100% of it as negative even when its not. But I can't imagine that anyone can argue that that first 90% isn't real. Or that TNA isn't clearly a 2nd class citizen at OO. Which I can appreciate when they were a PPV or internet entity (or even a FSN entity). I'm a ROH fan but I can appreciate why it doesn't get covered by Rick and OO. But once TNA is on national tv, doing well, doing monthly PPVs that are covered by the site, and very clearly being watched weekly by Rick and other than has it still failed to gain ANY ground in stature? I'm the FIRST guy to say that TNA is NOT WWE's equal but it has to be higher than OO would have you believe.

[Edited on 7-1-2006 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
SpaceMountainFatBoy
Showstopper

Posts 944
Registered 10-25-2003
Location Cyrodiil, Land of Make Believe

Mood: Enchantical!

posted on 7-1-2006 at 09:57 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeb Tennyson Lund
Don't everybody rush to post at once! It's like some of you are afraid or something!

I know you know this, Jeb, but it's not a matter of anyone being scared, it's a matter of what kind of result complaining would produce. In the last year and a half, Rick has fallen into a groove:

"Here's what Jon Stewart stole from me this week. I'm a fucking genius. Here's why the show you watch sucks, and here's why you suck for not watching Veronica Mars. Writer Monkeys. Toolbox. Theme to Dumb Guy. Lita's a skank, but her shirt is hot. Now, here's 10 paragraphs of me fantasy-booking last night's RAW so that it didn't suck. Here's week-old news that I don't consider news. TNA: Could it get any worse???"

It's boring and it's insulting without being very insightful. But what's the point of complaining? It won't change anything. I hate to say this, because it sounds fucking smarktastic, but it's a lot like the WWE: No reason to change if it's still grabbing eyeballs.

The MySpace thing: Wow. Rick dismissing something socially relevant to that degree is old hat by now, right?

These days I come to these boards for the level of maturity and camraderie (I know I spelled that wrong), but I get my news in timely and unbiased bites from a different site.

I'm not trying to be a dick by being so general, and I hope Rick listens to these criticisms. However, I just don't think he'll change. Maybe we need some new blood on the front page or something. I don't really have a solution to something Rick probably doesn't see as a problem. So, like I said, what's the point?

[Edited on 7-1-2006 by SpaceMountainFatBoy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   SpaceMountainFatBoy 's Yahoo
Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:10 AM Edit Post
Personally I've maybe read 5 thing on the main page in the last year, I just don't need that much negativity in my escapisim.

THE CHAMP

Capellan
Showstopper

Posts 835
Registered 4-10-2005

Mood: Gaming!

posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:14 AM Edit Post
I'm not a TNA fan. I like some of the wrestlers on their roster a great deal (Samoa Joe, Chris Daniels, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Christian) but on every occasion I've tuned in to a TNA show, I've found the whole to be less than the sum of the parts.

That said, I have to agree that Rick's "coverage" of TNA is very disappointing, both in terms of its quantity and its tone. Mind you, I find Rick's tone in all his coverage to be disappointing. I read OO to be informed about what's going on in wrestling, not to be told how big Rick thinks his penis ... sorry: "brain" ... is.

Of course, I watch ROH, so clearly my opinion is worthless as I am nothing but an internet fucktard of the highest order

Iron Heroes * My RPG Products

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:29 AM Edit Post
You're a ROH fan? Have you registered with the mods yet? They have to keep track of you wankers.

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMountainFatBoy
I don't really have a solution to something Rick probably doesn't see as a problem. So, like I said, what's the point?

See, now that I think is the point. If Rick sees no problem with his TNA coverage then this whole thing is pointless, isn't it? But if he actually intends to be catering to TNA fans, or general wrestling fans who may be interested in TNA, the question exists as to whether he's providing adequate coverage/outlook. And if we're somehow revealing that what OO is providing isn't ideal then maybe there's something to get from this. In the end this might just be a case of Rick's idea of TNA in which case the 99% of TNA fans who it offends should shut the fuck up and deal with it or stop reading. But there's this weird dynamic of OO at the moment where its theoretically catering to TNA fans while simultaneously treating them like crap. I think that's why angst and I have both mentioned the idea of no coverage. Because being ignored is probably better than being insulted, or at least that's the feeling that OO seems to have built in some people over the last year or so.

[Edited on 7-1-2006 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3288
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 7-1-2006 at 04:18 PM Edit Post
rick STINKS.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
SpaceMountainFatBoy
Showstopper

Posts 944
Registered 10-25-2003
Location Cyrodiil, Land of Make Believe

Mood: Enchantical!

posted on 7-1-2006 at 04:23 PM Edit Post
I would say unbiased TNA coverage would be nice, but not really a solution to why I, myself, have quit reading him. Basically, Rick calls me stupid for something I enjoy, or because I don't agree that his solution to said situation would be any better. He does this a few times in almost every column, in between telling me how crazy smart he is. Don't get me wrong; he's not hurting my feelings or anything. (Part of the reason not a lot of people chime in on this subject: it kinda makes you sound like a pussy.) It's just no fun to read any more. Maybe he could do those bits and work some humor in there, or something? Like I said, I don't really have any kind of solution.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   SpaceMountainFatBoy 's Yahoo
OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 3183
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 7-1-2006 at 09:08 PM Edit Post
I just got an e-mail from Jeb where he -- because these are issues the two of us have been wrangling about for at least 2 years now and he has privileged information about my methods and my madness -- really wanted me to post a little something here.

But only, in his words, if I wasn't shit-faced drunk and apt to go medieval on essentially harmless, well-meaning people. Well: quickly throwing together the SD!/TNA recaps and putting OO to bed for a couple of days is probably about the only time this weekend that level-headed-sobriety will converge with PC Time, so:

Leaving the TNA/MySpace nonsense aside for a second, on the more over-arching philosophical issue here, you're just gonna have to take my word for it that "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." That goes for every ounce of presentational issues of the Main Page material, because of the atmosphere I want to create (to attract and keep a certain kind -- and let's not mince words, a certain size -- of audience; and sometimes, hey, sorry, but that audience finds it comforting and appealing when we step back together and gently mock a smaller, niche audience; in this specific case, it reinforces the notion that all of us have a pretty marginal hobby here in wrestling, but at least *our* habit and our outlook is a lot healthier than these tiny pockets of uber-dorks! Which maybe is not fair, but it *is* closer to my honest feelings on the matter than if I went int he other direction and tried pandering to the hardcore indie wonks and whatnot, and in so doing, put the stink of "uber-dork" on myself, and cost myself some percentage of my more important audience because of it).

I also like to think that "I know what I'm doing" when it comes to pretty much laying back and letting the pack of "OO Graduate Students" have the forums as their place to amuse themselves if they've ceased to be amused by the WWE product or my WWE-centric coverage or the resulting limitations on my writing. Look: I'm flattered that so many people apparently feel so strongly about their "Old Rick," but you gotta realize that what you're remembering was a time when there were three relevant wrestling companies, instead of one, and there were a lot more relevant things to talk about. To write about wrestling 3 or 4 times per week these days, and to do it in a way that is accessible and enjoyable to a typical informed-but-non-fanatical wrestling viewer, well... it's not "hard," but it WOULD BE hard if I tried to be as straight-laced as I was 5 years ago when there were lots more things worth talking about in this business than there are today. Any resurrection of "Old Rick" would also involve a reduction in OO Updates to about once every two weeks, when enough important crap to talk about would have collected. And that dog wouldn't hunt, monsignor.

I refered to "OO Graduate Students" above, and their existence is nothing that I'm upset or offended by. It's no suprise to me that I'd tend to attract a slightly-more-intelligent-than-average audience, and if I pat myself on the back for writing in a style that allures more smart people than dumb people, I also have to accept the consequences when some of the same-said smart people decide that they've figured out "the act." There is, by the way, pretty much no "act" involved. It's just me throwing aside pretty much any notion of being a "wrestling journalist" and pretty much giving you what you'd get if you talked to me in a bar: complete with all the venom, riffing, and me-getting-tired-of-talking-about-wrestling-and-going-off-on-tangents, it's just minus either of us being drunk, so maybe that's the problem? I know even I can manage to find upwards of 15-20% of the population mostly-tolerable after a cocktail or two.

Anyway, this phenomenon of some people out-growing OO (because OO, limited by subject material, can't really grow and has to keep finding new ways to re-invent the wheel... or to re-invent the word "douchebag" in some other grammatical form) isn't necessarily something I'm HAPPY about; I with there were a way to entertain everybody, but as much as I've wracked my brain about this, I don't think there is. But I'll cope, and here in the forums away from my hacky influence, so will you. And in the meantime, I'll curl up into my defensive posture and tell myself "it's alright, because one plug from Bill Simmons created enough replacement readers to cover the next 800 years worth of OO Graduate Students."

And to the original matter:

I never said TNA being on MySpace was bad for business. I just don't see how it will be all that *good* for business (in the way that being accessible on YouTube is), because of the essentially two models I've seen where MySpace is popular and/or useful, TNA doesn't fit either one. Obviously, you have people who build their own "MySpace" and try to use it to make friends; this is the thing that I find both pitiable and morbidly-funny, and which I think is starting to strike a lot of other people the same way since that one chick got to be on the cover of Maxim or whatever for doing nothing more with her life than accumulating 998 gazillion "friends." Because yes, she was hot, but I think most people realize it is sad that this is her life's accomplishment. The only thing sadder: each and every one of her 998 gazillion "friends" who do not seem to understand that being "friended" on MySpace is even LESS personal a gesture than getting some crap-ass form letter from your favorite celebrity. [Then again, maybe I do just have to accept that I am a curmudgeon, as I think that anybody who uses emoticons or Chats/Instant Messages in less-than-complete sentences is commiting a heinous crime against mankind. The internet is a tool, dammit, nothing more. It's *not* a permission slip to pretend you've created a new "culture" where it's perfectly acceptable for people to act borderline-illiterate and be unable to properly express themselves in English or develop a healthy set of social skills.]

And to end that digression, the other model that I've seen work well is with local bands and local bars/clubs, where the network of "friend seekers" may be looking for friends or activities geographically proximate to them, and since everybody likes SOME kind of music, you might see a "friend," and that "friend" might be "friends" with this local band, and then that band's MySpace gets hit, and then their next show at Bar A or Club B might have one extra person show up, and then the process repeats with people of a similar geographic location slowly building up a snowball of mini-support for a band or a club.

Not only does TNA not really have any way of making use of a "geographic proximity" factor, but among MySpacers-at-large, not everybody likes SOME kind of wrestling the same way they do some kind of music or some kinds of TV shows. You're pretty much a wrestling fan or you're not. And if you are, you know about TNA. TNA having a MySpace won't attract any "impulse clicks." I can't imagine a scenario in which it makes any new fans. At most (if I put my Marketing 203 Cap on), it will keep CURRENT fans loyal, if said current fans can actually be tricked into thinking there is something cool about being official "friends" with Samoa Joe. I could see this creating some "stickiness" and loyalty among existing fans, but that'd be about it. And I don't think that's TNA's problem right now; their fans are loyal, it's just that there aren't enough of them, yet.

Which leads directly to my final point, which is that there seems to be a belief out there among certain fans that I, as a Wrestling Journalist (ha!), am obligated to like TNA and discuss it only in glowing terms. The alternative, according to them, is to not write about it at all, because of the irreparable damage I'm doing to TNA's chances of catching on with the mainstream.

My argument back: my only obligation as a Wrestling Fan is to watch and observe that which seems relevant and then formulate an opinion on it. I think by being forthright and honest about TNA's shortcomings, then a situation is created where when I *do* say good things about TNA (be it about Big Sexy the Midget Killer, or making more "jack-off-like" public admissions that I had missed the boat on Samoa Joe for a while but finally "got it" last fall), people believe me, and they might trust me enough to check it out.

And if those readers don't care enough to take my advice? Well, that all gets back to TNA's problem with being credible and relevant enough to appeal to a typical wrestling fan. Which is *their* problem, isn't it? I just sure as hell know it's not *my* responsibility to "fix" it by adopting a false and blithely-ignorant tone to my comments about the company.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8698
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 7-1-2006 at 09:33 PM Edit Post
quote:
And if those readers don't care enough to take my advice? Well, that all gets back to TNA's problem with being credible and relevant enough to appeal to a typical wrestling fan. Which is *their* problem, isn't it? I just sure as hell know it's not *my* responsibility to "fix" it by adopting a false and blithely-ignorant tone to my comments about the company.

If I was a typical fan and TNA was begining to become credible and interesting, I would follow my Bill Simmons link and look for the always up-to-date content on the TNA recaps page.

http://www.onlineonslaught.com/recaps/ppv/tna.shtml

fixed quote tags

[Edited on 7-1-2006 by ModSquad]

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
USF Bull
Banned

Posts 1785
Registered 11-16-2005

Mood:

posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:03 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
I also like to think that "I know what I'm doing" when it comes to pretty much laying back and letting the pack of "OO Graduate Students" have the forums as their place to amuse themselves ...

Rick

ModSquad
The Online Onslaught 'Gustapo'

Posts 3470
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Adminty

posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:28 PM Edit Post
Where did this guy, this guy or this guy get a degree from?

Suckas gots to know.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4844
Registered 3-6-2003
Location Mtgy, AL

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 7-2-2006 at 12:40 AM Edit Post
quote:
"OO Graduate Students"

New custom statuses, anyone?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TarheelMike 's Yahoo
USF Bull
Banned

Posts 1785
Registered 11-16-2005

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:10 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by TarheelMike
New custom statuses, anyone?

Count me in. Better than the generic "Canadian Crippler"

DrBoz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1038
Registered 1-2-2006
Location Indiana

Mood: Bubbly!

posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:19 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad
Where did this guy, this guy or this guy get a degree from?

Suckas gots to know.

People who call themselves doctors are totally lame. Suckas gots to know indeed!

ModSquad004
Cop Dawg

Posts 2323
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:31 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by USF Bull

Count me in. Better than the generic "Canadian Crippler"

YOU GET NOTHING BEEYOTCH!

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by ModSquad004]

WOOF!

Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-2-2006 at 12:55 PM Edit Post
LATE-BREAKING NEWZ!!!

According to reliable sources (okay, Wrestleline), NWA T&A (National Wrestling Alliance Tits & Ass) has given up on its MyPlace page! And its because Double Jeff Jarrod keeps getting bulletins from some chick named "Samantha" who posts 40 messages a day that say "WHO WANTS TO SEE ME NAKED???"! And that offended Jarrod, because he's from the South! And the only person who posts comments to the pictures section is Cory Harris, who wants to see hot nude photos of Chris Sabin! And because Director of Authority James E. Coronet gave a speech that went "Back when I was over in 1982, we didn't have this newfangled Internet to play with! And our fans still came to the matches in Raleigh, North Carolina every week, and they had to walk 2 miles in the snow, assuming Raleigh gets snow, and dadgum, they liked it!" And Scotty Too Steiner was upset by the site, because he can't read! And now Samoan Joe has promised to kill Webmaster Rick Scherer with his Finishing Moves That Have Really Complicated Names Like The Carwash MuscleStomper '99! And it the worst idea for a MyPlace page ever!

EVER!!!

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 7-2-2006 at 07:27 PM Edit Post
I read Rick's columns for much the same reasons I read Simmons - it's like getting a small dose of a good sports bar conversation. Enjoy them for what they are, and look elsewhere for other types of coverage.

wee bull
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 4-10-2005
Location Over the seas and far away...

Mood: in lieu

posted on 7-4-2006 at 07:13 AM Edit Post
quote:
stuff

Rick

I think I'm almost calling "bullshit" on all that, but that's probably a little stronger than the truth.

It's all very nice to say "Hey, I'm throwing my honest opinions out there, don't predudice me for being me, man!", but having opinions isn't what people are getting on you for, it's being a pompous ass about your opinions that does it. Comparing your writing to a drunken sports chat is one thing, but it's not a drunken chat, it's a website, and you have to expect that it will come across differently to those people who are actually reading your columns, and who will be in completely different surroundings and mindsets to you were when you wrote it.

When I talk sports with a friend, and they say something stupid I disagree with, I either:

a) Stop them right there and argue the point with them, until we at least understand each others opnions on it better, if not agree (which rarely happens).

b) Realise they're just fucking around, and don't really mean it, and ignore them.

The trouble is, a) is more of a heat-of-the-moment thing, and everybody knows how easily a heated argument descends into petty insults on the internet, so I think most people (myself included) don't bother with shit like that, and b) is just plain wrong, because it's clear from your writing style when you're being sarcastic and when not.

As for perhaps saying that I don't "get" the style of writing here on OO, I'd say I probably wouldn't have registered on the forums if I didn't. I love the mix of opinion and news/recapping here, and much prefer it to other sites and their second-by-second breakdown of moves per match and so forth, but just because I appreciate your ability to have an opinion doesn't mean I enjoy it being so needlessly negative and depreciating. I mean, I'm British, we invented sarcasm, I have a pretty broad sense of humour, I watch wrestling for the stupidity of it sometimes, I get insulting humour, I get sarcasm, I get making fun of things. Hell, I read Something Awful, which is 99% "HEY, THIS THING SUCKS". I've been told plenty of stuff I like by SA sucks before, and I let it go, or even laugh. Because while SA is negative, at least they're negative to everything, and in original and funny ways. Cracking "internet-wanker-fanboy-tape-traders" or "douchebag-Cena-fans-and-girls" week-in, week-out just isn't, not even because it's something that offends me, because I know I'm neither, but because it's uninspired, and plain not funny. and when it is about something that does disagree with me, well, to echo Jeb's comment about Lost fans, it's why I pretty much never read the pre-ramble any more.

Now don't get me wrong, despite all that posting above, I don't think this is really something that overly bothers me. I'll still read the site even if you continue to post like you do, and like SMFB, I realise that's most likely to be the case, so I'm not expecting anything to come from this. Given the choice between OO as it is, and no OO, I'll happily take OO, but your style of writing does rub people the wrong way sometimes, and it does get more aggravating as time passes. You don't suck outright, but even allowing for time constraints and deadlines, would it be too unfair for us to say we don't think your writing is much good at times?

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4928
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 7-4-2006 at 09:30 PM Edit Post
Rick Scaia is the Tony Kornheiser of wrestling website writers. He means what he writes to the extent that it continues to get him attention. On the web, that equals clicks and page views, which equals money. Rick follows the very thing that he criticizes most... the WWE model for making money. It frankly doesn't matter if the content is entertaining, if it makes sense or, hell, if it's even FACTUAL. He's got a core group of readers that continue to come back regardless. He's taken jaunts into areas like "caring about TNA" inasmuch as WWE's taken short little treks into "putting on kick ass tv." But I'm willing to bet that as far as the numbers go, keeping everything the way it is is better for business than changing anything drastically at all.

[Edited on 7-5-2006 by angstboy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   angstboy 's Aim
OOMatt
Crazy Go Nuts

Posts 1224
Registered 12-19-2002
Location St. Paul

Mood: Greatest Mood

posted on 7-5-2006 at 12:08 AM Edit Post
I don't know WHAT you're talking about Brangstboy!

OO is the most factual website on the internets.

For NFL Power Rankings, My Blog and More check out Hock Show Dot Com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   OOMatt 's Aim
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4928
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 7-5-2006 at 05:18 AM Edit Post
Hey man, I used to be able to count on it being at least the least BSish of the intarweb rasslin' sites I went to. Now, not so much.

Really though, I don't begrudge Rick the way he does things with his own site. I've been in a very similar place myself, and probably will be again soon. If a certain style of writing based on his audience type and size is necessary for what Rick needs to do in order to constantly drive return viewers back to OO, I can dig it. The website makes Rick money. He wants to maintain that. I get it. I'm just sad that I've lost a lot of respect for his opinion when it comes to wrestling as a result.

The Bad Guy
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1277
Registered 10-27-2002

Mood: Unified

posted on 7-5-2006 at 08:49 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Bulldog
According to reliable sources (okay, Wrestleline), NWA T&A (National Wrestling Alliance Tits & Ass) has given up on its MyPlace page! And its because Double Jeff Jarrod keeps getting bulletins from some chick named "Samantha" who posts 40 messages a day that say "WHO WANTS TO SEE ME NAKED???"! And that offended Jarrod, because he's from the South! And the only person who posts comments to the pictures section is Cory Harris, who wants to see hot nude photos of Chris Sabin! And because Director of Authority James E. Coronet gave a speech that went "Back when I was over in 1982, we didn't have this newfangled Internet to play with! And our fans still came to the matches in Raleigh, North Carolina every week, and they had to walk 2 miles in the snow, assuming Raleigh gets snow, and dadgum, they liked it!" And Scotty Too Steiner was upset by the site, because he can't read! And now Samoan Joe has promised to kill Webmaster Rick Scherer with his Finishing Moves That Have Really Complicated Names Like The Carwash MuscleStomper '99! And it the worst idea for a MyPlace page ever!

EVER!!!

LOL, Bulldog, please, don't ever change!

DevoniusMaximus
I do not know the secret of avatars

Posts 971
Registered 9-30-2003
Location Hamilton, OH

Mood: Subversive

posted on 7-6-2006 at 08:46 PM Edit Post
Just a question, Where would be a good place to go for TNA news with a positive bias?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top