The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does Bulldog's Column Suck?
dbanner
lol im quitting i bet u cant touch girls mod

Posts 8
Registered 7-20-2006

Mood:

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does Bulldog's Column Suck?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Canadian Bulldog's column sucks?

I'm a big fan of OO and have been for years. But whenever I visit and see that the only new offering is from him, I roll my eyes and move on. Try as I may, I just don't find it entertaining or amusing. In fact, the format of it strikes me as ridiculous.

I ask because, to my surprise, he appears to have quite a healthy following. Maybe (like "The Life Aquatic") I just don't get it.

By the way, I don't mean this as an unqualified criticism of the Bulldog. I enjoy reading his PPV predictions and the like. I'm sure I'd enjoy a different type of column from him. The current one, however, just isn't working for me.

Somebody set me straight.

Y2G
Showstopper

Posts 723
Registered 6-21-2004
Location Next to a PC, like, duh...

Mood: LOUD NOISES!!!

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Consider your self "straightened".

I expect only one post in your support, and it would probably come from...

Plees exquse tha speling meestayks. I lernd in tha Zoolander School For Kids Who Can't Read Good.

anvilicious - That's a great one Erin

Eddie - Thanks for all the lying, cheating and stealing.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3288
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
canadian bulldog is the only thing on the front page even worth reading.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Capellan
Showstopper

Posts 835
Registered 4-10-2005

Mood: Gaming!

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I wouldn't use the word "suck", since I think it's a matter of taste, but I never read ItR because I don't find it at all amusing.

*shrug* Different strokes, 'n' all that. There are obviously plenty of people who do enjoy it, and it's not like Bulldog's coming to my house and forcing me to read it or something. Not yet, anyway.

Iron Heroes * My RPG Products

ModSquad
The Online Onslaught 'Gustapo'

Posts 3470
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Adminty

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dbanner
Am I the only one who thinks that the Canadian Bulldog's column sucks?

I'd say yes. But there are plenty of people who don't like it, if that's what you're wondering. Bulldog does his thing very well. It just may not be your thing. Plenty of people at OO HATED it when he started writing. A couple columns later, some people got used to it and began to like it. Some didn't. That's how tastes work.

I will say that registering on a message board to say someone sucks probably isn't going to win many friends. maybe that would be different if the people who registered to say "THIS GUY SUCKS" stuck around and kept posting and said positive stuff elsewhere. But 99% of the time those people are just trolls who drop a bomb and leave. So if everyone takes a shit on your head, that's just them reacting the way dozens of morons have taught them to.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

dbanner

Posts 8
Registered 7-20-2006

Mood:

posted on 7-20-2006 at 03:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I certainly was not trying to offend anyone. Two things. First, I asked for people's thoughts on the column itself. I was careful to say that I enjoy the Bulldog's other writings, and to not criticize him personally. I also recognized that it could just be my own individual taste.

Second, one of the stated subjects of this board is to discuss things that you don't like about OO. I thought it appropriate for that reason and did not intend it to be disrespectful.

USF Bull
Banned

Posts 1785
Registered 11-16-2005

Mood:

posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I gotta say. At least your posts are coherent, well written and respectfull.

Personally, Bulldog is hit and miss with me.

Plus, the hack stiffed me for credit on a couple of Photoshops I submitted to him, so I hope he gets a (minor) case of face AIDS.

wee bull
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 4-10-2005
Location Over the seas and far away...

Mood: in lieu

posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If I didn't think it sounded so overly harsh to say it straight out sucks, then yeah, I would probably say that I agree really.

It's never done anything for me either. Like the Satire, it feels like it's trying to cram too many jokes in to too short an article, and obvious ones at that. But then, I find Pokey the Penguin and White Ninja hilarious, so I figure hell, to each his own really. They both have fans, and followings, but while I might think they're lame, they probably think the same about me and my tastes, so why annoy them by saying anything? I just stop reading their columns.*

I imagine plenty of people think the same, so if the people who like it post how much they do, and those that don't do nothing, the forum will inevitably look like it does.

*Which is why I've criticised Rick on here before, because I'm more picking flaws in something I otherwise enjoy with that.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Y2G
Showstopper

Posts 723
Registered 6-21-2004
Location Next to a PC, like, duh...

Mood: LOUD NOISES!!!

posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This thgread is now officially full of Bull...

Bulldog sucks, USF Bull wishes Bulldog all the best, and Wee Bull just calls BULL shit on Bulldog.

Plees exquse tha speling meestayks. I lernd in tha Zoolander School For Kids Who Can't Read Good.

anvilicious - That's a great one Erin

Eddie - Thanks for all the lying, cheating and stealing.

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4844
Registered 3-6-2003
Location Mtgy, AL

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 7-20-2006 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TarheelMike 's Yahoo
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-20-2006 at 12:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow.... stay away from the boards for 8 hours and see what I miss....

dbanned: Thank you, sir, for the compliment.

Seriously, though, I'm not offended in the least by your comments. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: humor is an extremely objective thing. There are certainly people who don't share my exact same sense of humor. That's cool.

Like Mod Prime said, there was a ton of backlash at first; now, three years later, I'm getting a much higher percentage of positive versus negative feedback, even if its not always expressed on the boards (HINT!!!).

So, thank you for the feedback. Now I can retire from the column business, and writing in general, due entirely to your comments.

Bulldog
(Oh, USF -- it wasn't my fault. Backstage politics, I swear!!!)

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
wee bull
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 4-10-2005
Location Over the seas and far away...

Mood: in lieu

posted on 7-20-2006 at 02:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Live and let live innit.

Also, bull.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 7-20-2006 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I enjoy Bulldog’s posts and his columns where he writes to the wrestlers. Other then that I can’t get into it either. I do know that many people do however. I guess you just have to be into that type of humor. I feel the same way about Hocking’s satire. I enjoy his posts and also liked the LOTR special but I rarely read the Raw Satire.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

mooseheadjack

Posts 10507
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 7-21-2006 at 01:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am another one of the many who doesn't really read the main page contributions regularly. I used to read Rick at each update, but he has become a bit too cynical for me. I still skim them, but I don't savor every word like I used to. As for the others, I read ITR now and again, the trading cards always get a chuckle out of me. I wouldn't say anything is bad, there is nothing on the main page that makes me roll my eyes and retch in horror. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is meh.

except for those AWESOME TNA PREDICTIONS! That Jack Headmoose is the BEES KNEES! SPOT ON EVERYTIME!

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
PyroFalkon
Fella

Posts 453
Registered 11-17-2004
Location Xenia, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 7-21-2006 at 02:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Bulldog
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: humor is an extremely objective thing.

When the hell did you EVER say that? As far as I can remember, you've been bragging to everyone who will listen that your brand of "humor" is the greatest thing the wrestling jackoff community has seen since the Internet.

dbanner was correct: Inside the Ropes is nothing but ridiculous. The misspellings get old, the cracks on me are getting more vicious and old, and the same book plugs are getting REALLY old. Seriously, have you even sold a single copy yet?

I remember when you did your third anniversary column, you wrote that this gimmick was only supposed to last a couple weeks. It's a shame that your one or two friends managed to convince you to keep going, because you could be doing so much more with your time.

Look, Bulldog, I'm just trying to help you here... it's apparent that you have somewhat of a creative mind, I'll give you that. But seriously, no one is going to respect you if you continue to write this trash. Maybe you should get a job with a newspaper or something so you can learn how to write better. Then people will respect you more, and you can quit what is essentially begging for fans and laughs.

dbanner, you have no need to be "set straight." You're just one of the more intelligent fans of OO who knows a bad column when he sees one.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   PyroFalkon 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   PyroFalkon 's Yahoo
OOMatt
Crazy Go Nuts

Posts 1224
Registered 12-19-2002
Location St. Paul

Mood: Greatest Mood

posted on 7-21-2006 at 02:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is this where I come in and say that I suck?

I suck!

For NFL Power Rankings, My Blog and More check out Hock Show Dot Com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   OOMatt 's Aim
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

posted on 7-21-2006 at 05:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PyroFalkon
I am teh gay.

You said it, BROTHER!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
PyroFalkon
Fella

Posts 453
Registered 11-17-2004
Location Xenia, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 7-21-2006 at 01:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"I am teh gay"? Yeah, like I haven't heard THAT before.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   PyroFalkon 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   PyroFalkon 's Yahoo
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

posted on 7-21-2006 at 01:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Being teh gay, you likely hear it quite often....

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8698
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 7-21-2006 at 04:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
By Bulldog:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: humor is an extremely objective thing.

Yes. You're either RIGHT OR WRONG.

One thing I'll always like about Bulldog is that there are lots of little things that he does to keep the column fresh. But really, I'm here to ask one question:

Is PYROFALKON really BULLDOG in wad disguise?

[Edited on 7-21-2006 by borntorun]

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 7-21-2006 at 05:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like ITR. If asked why, I'd have to say SHNITSKY!!!

The Satire is good, but it has too many words.

dbanner

Posts 8
Registered 7-20-2006

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2006 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Look at that. Look what you did. You changed the last letter of my name from "r" to "d," and you did so because sometimes people who post on message boards are "banned." Aren't you clever?

That's what you do, right? You take the names of others and you alter them slightly into something that you find amusing. You then sit back and marvel at yourself and openly solicit compliments from others. Does that about cover it? That is entertaining?

This thread stemmed from idle curiosity, nothing more. Then the exchange with pyrofalcon occurred. . .and I must admit. . .it thread captured my interest once more. So much so that I researched some of your more recent columns. I was able to wade through enough of the frenetic and dizzying ramblings that are their hallmark to get the flavor of what you are doing to this guy.

In short, since you have nothing relevant to offer, you are attempting to increase your readership at his expense. And in the process, you are managing only to abuse the forum that you -- for whatever reason -- have been given. It's not impressive. You are not getting the better of this guy any more than the radio talk show host who claims victory by disconnecting his caller in order to have the last word. It's yet another reason why you simply have no business doing what you do.

Normally I would not be so blunt, and I have no ill will toward you like you have against that guy, but you really have this coming.

dbanner

Posts 8
Registered 7-20-2006

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2006 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Look at that. Look what you did. You changed the last letter of my name from "r" to "d," and you did so because sometimes people who post on message boards are "banned." Aren't you clever?

That's what you do, right? You take the names of others and you alter them slightly into something that you find amusing. You then sit back and marvel at yourself and openly solicit compliments from others. Does that about cover it? That is entertaining?

This thread stemmed from idle curiosity, nothing more. Then the exchange with pyrofalcon occurred. . .and I must admit. . .it thread captured my interest once more. So much so that I researched some of your more recent columns. I was able to wade through enough of the frenetic and dizzying ramblings that are their hallmark to get the flavor of what you are doing to this guy.

In short, since you have nothing relevant to offer, you are attempting to increase your readership at his expense. And in the process, you are managing only to abuse the forum that you -- for whatever reason -- have been given. It's not impressive. You are not getting the better of this guy any more than the radio talk show host who claims victory by disconnecting his caller in order to have the last word. It's yet another reason why you simply have no business doing what you do.

Normally I would not be so blunt, and I have no ill will toward you like you have against that guy, but you really have this coming.

USF Bull
Banned

Posts 1785
Registered 11-16-2005

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2006 at 03:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by borntorun
Is PYROFALKON really BULLDOG in wad disguise?

I've frequently had the same thing cross my mind.

It's kind of like when people accused me and GoVols (or Rick and Erin) of being the same person for a while there.

Just makes you go hmmmmmmm....

EDIT: grammar and shit

[Edited on 7-22-2006 by USF Bull]

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4844
Registered 3-6-2003
Location Mtgy, AL

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 7-22-2006 at 04:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, I'm going to assume that you are serious about this now that you responded in this fashion...

quote:
Originally posted by dbanner

See, right off the top, you just don't get the joke. At least I don't think you do. (Either way, I'm not one to explain jokes.)
It's okay you don't get it. I don't read Jeff's SD recaps - that doesn't mean his column sucks. Just that I have no interest in reading about SmackDown.

quote:

Okay, I KNOW you don't get it now. If you did, you'd know that Bulldog has PLENTY of business doing what he does. And did you ever think for a moment that maybe Bulldog and Pyro enjoy taking little jabs at each other? And again, if the column's THAT bad, just don't read it. It's not like Bulldog is trying to report serious news here...

...or is he?

quote:

Have what coming? I'm sure C-Bizzle is trembling in his doghouse right now, just worried about what he "has coming." Either way, "journalists" know that negative feedback is better than none.

That's why Bulldog thanks you for the compliment.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TarheelMike 's Yahoo
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top