The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paul Ryan & Healthcare reform
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 1795
Registered 6-27-2007
Location 1984

Mood: Prayer Fight

posted on 6-28-2011 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Paul Ryan & Healthcare reform

I continue to be lazy when it comes to digging into healthcare reform. So here is a video where Paul Ryan give his take on it. Thoughts on his statement?

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1563
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 6-28-2011 at 08:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Medicaid is a horrible system. You are as likely to die on medicaid as with no insurance at all and adding 19 million people as an unfunded mandate will make it that much worse.

As with any of the social programs, if people treated them as a temporary handout to help them through hard times they'd be worthwhile and probably not too ineffective. But instead there's no compunction to getting aid simply because you qualify for it, and stay on it in perpetuity because you can. And that lack of personal responsibility is bankrupting all of us.

We've already seen private insurers drop programs for kids in response to the ACA because of the inability to deny the sick. Rather than lose money, they drop the program and now the state systems are the only option. We're already seeing what Ryan described as a lack of choice.

The simple problem is that we have a screwed up notion of health and health care. If we mandated that insurers paid for a yearly complete teardown of your car and replacement of all defective parts but stopped funding road repair and allowed anyone to sell gas with no oversight, would we have safer roads? Of course not. But we pay billions to treat symptoms without regard to the shit we eat, the stress we endure, the pollution we breathe, and the lack of ergonomics in our lives.

As to how to address those? Beats me. I just know from my observation that the less people have to pay for health care, the less healthy they are. But we have to care for "the least of these" and I don't know how to do that without getting some leaching bastards sneaking in.

ETA: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=13235

quote:
The Ryan plan offers the only serious hope of reducing fraud in Medicare and Medicaid. Its Medicare reforms, especially if they were expanded later, would make it easier for the federal government to police the program, and its Medicaid reforms would increase each state's incentive to curb fraud.

To see how the Ryan plan would reduce Medicare fraud, imagine that the proposal really were what its critics claim it is: a full-blown voucher program, with each enrollee receiving a chunk of cash to spend on medical care, apply toward health-insurance premiums, or save for the future. Instead of processing 1.2 billion claims, Medicare would hand out just 50 million vouchers, with sick and low-income enrollees receiving larger ones. The number of transactions Medicare would have to monitor each year would fall by more than 1 billion.

We need a system where people ask "do I really need this?" and then if they refuse the test the doctor isn't on the hook for malpractice but anything that shifts financial responsibility to the patient hurts the poorest and sickest. There's a way, I'm sure, just not in an era of soundbites and billion dollar election campaigns.

[Edited on 6-28-2011 by doctorb]

The "B" is for Bargain!

Biff_Manly
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1143
Registered 6-16-2006

Mood: Ridiculous

posted on 6-29-2011 at 05:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So what part of his medical plan makes things cheaper by putting private companies in charge? Is 30% on every dollar insurance companies get not enough? Now they are going after the rest. Instead of a "death panel" of doctors its much better if health care decisions are made by some accountant or better yet by some worker bee in a cubicle reading off a script. It's not a coincidence that the rise in health care costs is equal to the rise in control by the insurance companies. They are vultures feeding off of the sick and dying.

"Walter: I can solve everything by making this gramophone have sex with time."
--SCSA's Fringe on Ice Holiday Spectacular.

Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.

Posts 2284
Registered 4-29-2008

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 7-2-2011 at 12:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Reminder that America already spends more on healthcare as a percentage of GDP than any nation in the world and that you are already spending more as a percentage of taxation on healthcare than anyone in the world, yet you have a standard of care below every other westernized country, and nearly 50 million of your fellow citizens have no care at all. Every other western country already spends less on healthcare than America, covers more people and sees them spending less individually on care, to say nothing of the absence of millions of dollars in bankruptcies in America caused by healthcare bills.

Reminder too that Paul Ryan is so worried about the debt that we have to cut taxes and spending on entitlement programs. Reminder that he was also so worried about a budget surplus ten years ago that we had to cut taxes and spending on entitlement programs.

[Edited on 7-2-2011 by Stone Cold Steve Autism]

Realistically speaking, there is no way for you to prove that I am not Batman.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top