The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Eddie Proves Me Right
Slade
The Great One

Posts 3540
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Busan, South Korea

Mood: ~OUTTA NOWHERE!!!

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:32 PM Edit Post
Eddie Proves Me Right

Because I am an attention whore, I believe it is necessary to bring this to everyone's attention:

I've been saying it for a long time (for nearly an entire year now), that Eddie Guerrero would be the World Champion by Wrestlemania XX. I always said he'd headline Wrestlemania. And, now Eddie has proven me right. I looked over the boards, but could not find any evidence of my Wrestlemania prophecy. However, I found something that I wrote on June 3rd, 2003, in a thread called The Case For Eddie Guerrero. Other than Blown Spot, who started the thread, nobody else believed Eddie would ever hold the World Championship. They all said it was a pipedream. But, not I. I said:

quote:
I'm not going to say a lot about it, but I will say that Eddie is worthy of being a champion. And unlike all of the sceptics, I think it can and will happen in the future. And I think Eddie could do it as a face. He needn't turn heel. Eddie has a better chance of winning the strap as a face than Benoit has. Actually, I'd even go so far as to say that Eddie will be a World Champion before Benoit ever gets his hands on the title. Unless, of course, Benoit goes heel to get the title off of Lesnar. Then Eddie could take it from Benoit. I'm sure most people disagree with me on this one, but I can really see this happening. As long as Angle isn't the guy who takes the strap from Lesnar, this scenario could easily happen, and it could all be played out before Edge returns from his injury. Nobody else is ready for a run as the #1 on Smackdown. Next to Kurt Angle, Eddie's the best guy for the job.

This post alone shows you that 8 months ago, I successfully predicted that:

• Eddie Guerrero would win the WWE Championship.
  • Eddie would win it as a face.
  • Eddie would strike gold before Chris Benoit.
  • Eddie would be the WWE Champion before Edge returned early in 2004 to big fanfare.

So what is the purpose of this post? My main purpose to talk myself up because I have low self-esteem and showing you that I was right about Eddie, long before anybody else thought he stood a chance, makes me feel like a big man. Second, I just wanted to say to you that in light of the fact that I was right, you guys should listen to me more often. Not everything I say around here is totally stupid. About 3% of the things I have to say are insightful, and this is proof of that.

Thank you, Eddie. You have vindicated me. I've always believed in you, and I always will. To quote The Rick, "Eddie is Good." And now the world knows what I knew all along.

"Love is making out with someone after you've blown a load on his/her face." - Dan Savage

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:37 PM Edit Post
Let me be the first to say congradulations Slade. Looking back on how Eddie has been progressing, the title seems completely logical now. Incredibly successful tag title run(s), the US Championship, proving along every step that he could make the fans care, so now the title. Sure, there were a few stumbles (Los Guerreros break up, how the US title was lost and to who,) but in general, his rise to the top has gone just fine.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
AnglesGoldMedals
Showstopper

Posts 686
Registered 2-13-2003
Location From wherever he damn well pleases (Newcastle, UK)

Mood: "Break it!

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:50 PM Edit Post
Now let's see some of the 97% of your posts again...

And don't forget that I was the first person on the forums to state that Lesnar would meet Goldberg at WMXX

EDIT: Because doublee noted that my comment made no sense, thus making me look like a complete tool.

[Edited on 2-16-2004 by AnglesGoldMedals]

Now with 20% less Kellett...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   AnglesGoldMedals 's Yahoo
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:58 PM Edit Post
Slade is Brock!

doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

Mood: Mr. Jiggy-Fly

posted on 2-16-2004 at 05:07 PM Edit Post
AGM I assume you mean Lesnar would meet Goldberg. As entertaining as it could potentially be I don't think anyone really wants to see Brock wrestle himself.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
chucky_13
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 13
Registered 2-3-2004
Location MN

Mood: bLa

posted on 2-16-2004 at 05:50 PM Edit Post
Eddie is good and I DO like him but him as champ(at going to Mania too!) Piss' me off! *ducks flames*

Signature

crossface99
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1444
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood: coping

posted on 2-16-2004 at 06:50 PM Edit Post
Slade, good job on that 3% efficiency rating.

I've never been more happy to acknowledge someone else was right and I was wrong. I hoped they'd give the strap to Eddie but feared and expected they wouldn't.

Today, I love being wrong.

Wrestling is dead to me.

OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

Mood: McIan-tastic

posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:21 PM Edit Post
I didn't watch the PPV, but let me get this straight...

Chyna's valet won the championship belt?

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:40 PM Edit Post
It’s interesting. I’d never thought Eddie Guererro would become a world champion before Chris Benoit…And I am still amazed that it happened…

Within just a couple of months ago, I would have believed Benoit would be a world champion before Eddie. Benoit had title matches against Brock Lesnar, made him tap-out to his crossface in matches, and became a legitimate contender for the WWE title. Then, nothing became of this, as Benoit failed to win the strap.

Moving ahead to January, Benoit wins a hard earned victory at the Royal Rumble. Eddie Guerrero is feuding with Chavo, and we just know that a month later he will contend for Brock’s WWE title.

While Benoit is being hyped as a legit threat to Triple H’s world title, in comes Eddie Guerrero in the title picture winning a mini-rumble of his own…And now, not only does he get the opportunity against Lesnar, but he becomes the WWE champion…

This is all great. But it’s interesting that Benoit was in the WWE title picture only a month or 2 ago, and failed to win the strap, only to win the Royal Rumble. But Eddie Guerrero just one a mini rumble, and is now the WWE champion just like that.

The reason this is interesting to me is because two months ago, who would have predicted Eddie becoming a world champion, and one before Chris Benoit at that, given Benoit’s hype at contending and winning Triple H’s world title??

Though I never predicted, I am grateful that Eddie is WWE champion, because not only did he prove himself with his promos the last few weeks, but he put on a match for the ages in becoming a WWE champion.

madiq
Crusader for Pure Truth

Posts 2131
Registered 7-5-2002
Location Brooklyn, New York, the capital of the Universe

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:00 PM Edit Post
Bravo, Slade and BlownSpot, for having the faith in the WWE to do the right thing. I too wouldn't have thought that they'd let their "Golden Boy" lay down for Eddie, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.

And since I've changed my Smark allegiances, I'll be happy that he'll probably walk out of Wrestlemania with the title, even if a certain Son-in-law does as well.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   madiq 's Aim
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 2-16-2004 at 11:17 PM Edit Post
Try not to hurt your arm patting yourself on the back there, Slade old boy. I'm still going to reserve my right never to listen to you.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-25-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-17-2004 at 02:11 AM Edit Post
Okay, someone dig up the thread where we said Benoit could be champ. I remember the complaints about Benoit facing A-Train and how he was being misused. As for Eddie as champ I am glad. I am really glad the wwe didn't do some nonsense swerve like I really thought they would. Eddie/Angle could perhaps rival Bret/Owen at MSG? How about Savage/Steamboat or Rock/Austin 2?
TimeToPlay
Banned

Posts 37
Registered 2-16-2004
Location Vince Rules Island

Mood:

posted on 2-17-2004 at 02:23 AM Edit Post
This match scares me

This is gonna be a great match, but at what cost?

I think Angle takes too many risks when he is in matches with great workers. If he takes one wrong bump the guy could be done forever.

As a high school wrestler who watched Angle win the gold, it would be a shame to lose him. I hope if he goes into this match he has going out in a blaze of glory in the back of his mind.

Slade
The Great One

Posts 3540
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Busan, South Korea

Mood: ~OUTTA NOWHERE!!!

posted on 2-18-2004 at 04:20 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angles Gold Medals
And don't forget that I was the first person on the forums to state that Lesnar would meet Goldberg at WMXX.

That's right, you were. Way to be, AGM, for calling that one. Lesnar vs. Goldberg will be cool. Although, I would much prefer to see Lesnar meet Brock at WMXX. Oh well, I guess I can't always get what I want.

And I would just like to take this moment to thank The Rick for acknowledging that my "Eddie Wins" bragging rights supersede his. That was a classy move, Scaia. You rule.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Slade]

"Love is making out with someone after you've blown a load on his/her face." - Dan Savage

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 2-18-2004 at 04:32 PM Edit Post
I was one of the wrong ones who said he wouldn't get it. I especially didn't think Eddie would win it before Benoit did.

I was wrong, it was a great match, and I am happy I was wrong, but I just have to put this out there, one term to describe the reign of Eddie...

"Transitional champ"

Two Time! Two Time! MLB Survivor winner

myspace

Blown Spot
The Rowdy One

Posts 2399
Registered 1-22-2003
Location Silver Spring, MD

Mood: Mauve

posted on 2-18-2004 at 09:13 PM Edit Post
Um… not to toot my own horn or anything but, as Slade correctly pointed out and getting little in the way of attention. I’M the one who started the thread that forecasted Eddie’s eventual WWE title win.

So Slade it was ME who postulated this theory first. Not YOU.

I WANT ATTENTION TOO Dammit! I need my ego stroked.

So Slade, if you would be so kind as to bold the part in your initial post about ME being the one who argued the Case for Eddie Guerrero, I’d be much obliged, ashamed for asking but, obliged nonetheless.

My self esteem is pretty low these days too.

"I like to drink wine more than I used to... anyway I'm drinking more."

"John Cena is poopy." - CM Punk to 6 year old kid on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

"What I said was deliberately untrue. However, that does not make it a lie. It's what we call in sophisticated debate terms a "implyo-obliqué-prevariclative," which is a statement that deliberately runs counter to the truth and is not factually supported — which is totally different from a lie..."

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 2-18-2004 at 09:42 PM Edit Post
Well, Blown Spot has a point. He did in fact start the thread with the theory

and even cooler, Icon postulated seeing Eddie hit the Frog Splash for the win

Blown Spots thread is the one that I incorrectly stated he won't win, but hell, it happens.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by cpdevine1]

Two Time! Two Time! MLB Survivor winner

myspace

OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

posted on 2-18-2004 at 10:27 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by cpdevine1
I just have to put this out there, one term to describe the reign of Eddie...

"Transitional champ"

...because Lord knows we have to find SOMETHING to bitch about.

Stand back! There's a HURRICANE coming through! Several, in fact!

Pistol Pez
I am a pathetic troll

Posts 723
Registered 5-11-2002
Location Ohio

posted on 2-18-2004 at 10:52 PM Edit Post
It goes without saying, but: that's a great prediction Slade.

Reading through this thread, I got to wondering. Steve Austin walked out on the company just as a feud with Eddie was getting started. It would have been Eddie's first shot in the WWF with a main eventer. When you think about everything that's gone on in wrestling in the last year-plus . . . How much would things be different if you could go back in a time warp and have that storyline play out instead of what happened?

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-18-2004 at 11:51 PM Edit Post
Well, Eddie was a heel back then, so who knows…

My theory would be that Eddie’s eventual face turn would’ve come about 3-4 months after it actually did, and I just think that his push to the top of the company as WWE champion right now would have been delayed about 3-4 months if this feud were to have continued…But then again, Eddie would have been in the spotlight early on back then, against the likes of Stone Cold…

Whatever the case, my theory remains.

A thought about what cpdevine1 said: If Eddie maintains the championship past wrestlemania, then he will not be a transitional champion, but a credible one. If he loses to Angle, then I’m really not sure…Because I see Brock trying to get back to the title picture after wrestlemania, so I think Eddie should remain the champion at wrestlemania to have Brock hunt against a babyface champion down the line…If Eddie loses the title at wrestlemania, I’d be pretty pissed.

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-25-2003

posted on 2-19-2004 at 08:42 PM Edit Post
The Eddy-Brock segment from Smackdown gained a whopping 746,000 viewers, by far the highest gain on the show. His wwe title win was covered in El Paso news. Ladies and gentlemen if the wwe gets REAL serious with Eddie who knows what the future could hold.
OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

posted on 2-19-2004 at 09:03 PM Edit Post
Pez;
My personal opinion is that if the Austin/Eddy angle had played out, Eddy would currently be headlining Heat.

Austin doesn't put people over. Period. He was Triple H before there WAS a Triple H. Austin/Eddy was heading the same place as Austin/Scott Hall: endless skits of Austin making Eddy look like a punk.

Brock, bless his soul, hasn't been in the business long enough to screw over Eddy.

Stand back! There's a HURRICANE coming through! Several, in fact!

madiq
Crusader for Pure Truth

Posts 2131
Registered 7-5-2002
Location Brooklyn, New York, the capital of the Universe

Mood:

posted on 2-19-2004 at 10:44 PM Edit Post
Preach on...I mean, Austin is the same guy that wouldn't job to TRIPLE H when he was coming up...
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   madiq 's Aim

New Topic New Poll

go to top